Major teeth discoloration causes or causes of teeth stains are the foods we eat. More particularly, the beverages we consume.
Tea, coffee and carbonated soft drinks rob your teeth of their healthy white color. What you get in return are unsightly, yellow and stained teeth.
The good news is that you can undo some of the damage you have done to your teeth and restore them to a healthy white color if you devote them some time:
• Brush regularly: As any dentist would tell you, you just cannot do away with brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing them at least 1-2 times a week. Though regular brushing and flossing does not help you remove teeth stains, it can ensure that you do not get tartar deposits which can also lead to yellowing and tooth discoloration later. Maintaining good oral hygiene is a pre-requisite for removing stains from teeth.
• Baking soda to rescue: If the teeth stains are mild, try using baking soda to remove them. It is a time tested remedy which has been known to work on hundreds of thousands of people. Take some baking soda in a small box or in the palm of your hand and dip your moistened toothbrush in it so that some of it sticks to your toothbrush. Use this toothbrush smeared with baking soda to clean your teeth, as you do with your toothpaste. Baking soda can help you do away with mild teeth stains without causing any damage to the enamel. Use it as often as you want to. The more stubborn stains might take 2-3 times to come off. This also happens to be one of the cheapest methods of removing teeth stains.
• Use peroxide prophy paste: Ask your pharmacist for a peroxide prophy paste. Peroxide is a highly potent stain remover. Enduring its awful taste for 2-3 minutes can help you get rid of embarrassing yellow stains on discolored teeth for good.
• DIY teeth whitening: Polish the stains off your teeth by using simple DIY teeth whitening procedures like peroxide solution, teeth whitening trays, whitening gels and toothpastes, etc. consult your dentist before you opt for any of these methods to make sure that you do not cause any long term damage to the protective enamel covering on your teeth. Following the instructions of the DIY kit and your dentist, you can get rid of teeth stains without burning a hole in your pocket.
• Eat crunchy foods: Consume more of foods which will be rub off against the surface of the teeth as you chew on them. For instance, crunchy foods like carrots, apples, pears, etc. As these foods rub off on your teeth, they can help you get rid of teeth stains to some extent. In addition to that, they help to clean the hidden nooks and corners of the mouth and to dislodge any food particles that may be sticking in those crevices. Consuming more of chewy foods (like chocolates, soft chew candies, etc.) which stick to the teeth, on the other hand, can become causes of teeth stains and yellowing
Following these tips earnestly can help get rid of teeth stains at home in no time at all.